Meet John J. Egan
Jack Egan has had extensive trial experience in civil litigation for over forty years. He has tried cases in every department of the Massachusetts Trial Court and Federal Courts and has handled multiple appellate matters in the Massachusetts Appeals Court and Supreme Judicial Court. In the Federal system he appeared before the First Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court.
Jack’s practice concentrates in civil litigation, including business and shareholder disputes; eminent domain and land valuation disputes; employment discrimination; personal injury; and First Amendment issues.
Jack has recovered in excess of $240 million in verdicts and settlements for his clients. In 2019, he obtained a $9.5 million verdict for his client in a lease dispute. In 2016, he obtained the largest jury verdict in Massachusetts, $32.4 million, under the Massachusetts Wrongful Death Act. His results are frequently included in annual lists of the top ten verdicts or settlements in Massachusetts. In 2013, he obtained an arbitration award of $50.3 million. He served as local counsel in the largest securities dispute in U.S. District Court, Western Division of Massachusetts. He has represented nationally known celebrities involved in disputes in Western Massachusetts.
Jack’s verdicts are the largest in Western Massachusetts in the following areas: employment discrimination, eminent domain, personal injury, lease disputes, and property loss. Further, his settlements are the largest in Western Massachusetts in the product liability area.
Several of Jack’s cases have made new law on appeal. He is regularly listed as a New England, Massachusetts, and Boston Super Lawyer. He has continuously appeared in Best Lawyers and other similar publications.
In 1995, Jack was invited to join the highly selective American College of Trial Lawyers, which limits its membership to no more than one percent of the trial bar. He has served on the College’s State Committee.
Jack was appointed by the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court to be a Trustee of its Client Security Fund in 2007. In 2010, he was appointed by the Court as Vice Chairperson and in 2012, the Supreme Court appointed him Chairperson.
In addition to his busy professional practice, Jack serves or has served on numerous Boards of multiple non-profit organizations throughout Western Massachusetts.
- Civil Litigation, including:
- Business Disputes
- Corporate and Shareholder Litigation
- Eminent Domain
- Employment Disputes
- First Amendment Litigation
- Insurance Coverage Disputes
- Personal Injury
- Product Liability
- Corporate Governance
- Crisis Management
Leadership and Awards
- Twice named to the Top Ten Lawyers in Massachusetts
- Top 100 Massachusetts Lawyers (multiple occasions)
- Best Lawyers in America
- New England Super Lawyers
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers
- Top Boston Lawyer
- Massachusetts Bar Foundation Life Fellow
- Philanthropic partner of the Massachusetts Bar Association. Through its grantmaking and charitable activities, the Foundation works to increase access to justice for all in Massachusetts.
- Pioneer Valley American Inn of Court – Master of the Bench
- Senior mentor to top junior trial attorneys selected from the Western Mass. legal community.
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- Boston College Law School, J.D.
- College of the Holy Cross, B.A